Skip Navigation

Frame by Frame

The Exploding Eye

In the 1960s, I was part of a group of filmmakers working in New York known as the Underground film movement, or the New American Cinema. I also worked as a writer for Life magazine and Andy Warhol’s Interview magazine. I later went to London, and briefly became part of the Arts Lab in Drury Lane, organizing a screening of my own work, and making short films.

Back in the United States, I worked with the pioneering video group TVTV in 1976, during the group’s Los Angeles period, editing many of the episodes of their series Supervision for PBS, and later the group’s final effort, The TVTV Show, made in conjunction with NBC. I also edited a demo reel for Bill Murray, which was directed by Harold Ramis, entitled “The World’s Largest Car Wash.”

My films and videotapes have been screened at The Museum of Modern Art, The British Film Institute, The Whitney Museum of American Art, The Jewish Museum, The San Francisco Cinématheque, The New Arts Lab, The Collective for Living Cinema, and The Kitchen Center for Experimental Art.

In the Fall of 1997, I delivered four lectures at The Museum of Modern Art in New York, to celebrate the publication of my book The Exploding Eye: A Revisionary History of 1960s American Experimental Cinema (SUNY UP, 1997), in conjunction with a series of screenings of classic experimental films I curated for the occasion.

On April 11–12, 2003, I was honored with a retrospective of my films at The Museum of Modern Art in New York. At that time, my independent films were acquired for the permanent collection of the Museum, in both print and original format.

Here’s an article on that period that I wrote for the journal Screening the Past 29; you can read it here.

Tags: , ,

About the Author

Wheeler Winston Dixon

Wheeler Winston Dixon, Ryan Professor of Film Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, is an internationally recognized scholar and writer of film history, theory and criticism. He is the author of numerous books and more than 70 articles on film and appears regularly in national media outlets discussing film and culture trends. Frame by Frame is a collection of his thoughts on a number of those topics. To contact Prof. Dixon for an interview, reach him at 402.472.6064 or wdixon1@unl.edu.

RSS Frame By Frame Videos

• War Movies
    UNL Film Studies professor Wheeler Winston Dixon at one of the earliestand most enduring film genres, the war movie. […]
  • Frame By Frame - Hollywood Composers
    UNL Film Studies professor Wheeler Winston Dixon highlights the most prolific Hollywood film composers. […]

In The National News

National media outlets featured and cited Wheeler Winston Dixon on a number of topics in the past month. Find out more on the website http://newsroom.unl.edu/inthenews/