Skip Navigation

Frame by Frame

Envoi

Time for a break; on to something new.

I love this image — it’s so hopeful and positive. And I have loved, on most occasions, “heralding the new” in film and related media, but the time has come for me to take a break from this blog; I’m going to hit the “pause” button here and try to shift into the non-digital world for a while. When I was working on my book Streaming: Movies, Media and Instant Access, the material I was considering almost daily on the blog fit right in; it was “of the moment,” and completely in sync with what I was doing. Now, I’m working on a new project, which may take several years to complete, more centered on classical issues, and I need to step back from the instant world to spend more time thinking about the larger ramifications of culture both past and present. One needs time for reflection.

It seems to me that we have been gradually transformed from a culture of human communication into a mediated society in which simulacral images of the real have replaced human interaction. We’ve been both spectators and participants in the process of image production since the dawn of imagistic representation, but now, it seems that more and more, we are content to simply watch anything that’s on, removing ourselves from existence. I’m steeping myself in a lot of classical painting right now, for one example, images from the 18th and 19th century, and for the moment, I’m going to keep this a private conversation.

As Jorge Luis Borges wrote, “Literature is not exhaustible, for the sufficient and simple reason that a single book is not. A book is not an isolated entity: it is a narration, an axis of innumerable narrations. One literature differs from another, either before or after it, not so much because of the text as for the manner in which it is read.” There are more than 400 posts on this blog stretching back over the past three years — and that’s a lot of material to consider, and more than enough for several books. So perhaps you’ll hit the “back” button and browse over some of the past entries, while I work on something new.

Until then, envoi, and I’m sure that we will have a chance to talk soon, in one form or another.

Tags:

About the Author

Wheeler Winston Dixon

Wheeler Winston Dixon, Ryan Professor of Film Studies at the University of Nebraska-Lincoln, is an internationally recognized scholar and writer of film history, theory and criticism. He is the author of thirty books and more than 100 articles on film, and appears regularly in national media outlets discussing film and culture trends. Frame by Frame is a collection of his thoughts on a number of those topics. To contact Prof. Dixon for an interview, reach him at 402.472.6064 or wdixon1@unl.edu. Visit him at his website wheelerwinstondixon.com.

RSS Frame By Frame Videos

• War Movies
    UNL Film Studies professor Wheeler Winston Dixon at one of the earliestand most enduring film genres, the war movie. […]
  • Frame By Frame - Hollywood Composers
    UNL Film Studies professor Wheeler Winston Dixon highlights the most prolific Hollywood film composers. […]

In The National News

National media outlets featured and cited Wheeler Winston Dixon on a number of topics in the past month. Find out more on the website http://newsroom.unl.edu/inthenews/