Through Jeff E.’s leadership (thanks Jeff!) in trying to communicate and provide more information sharing and transparency, I’m following his lead and have begun to inform/engage our extended manager team within IS, as well. Here’s my update for June. Andrew, Brad and myself also hope to add benefit and interaction amoung ourselves and others engaging with educational technologies especially related to media (social or otherwise) in the mix via this blog.
IS Extended Management June Report
UNLcms (Drupal web content managment@UNL)
- A subcommittee has been formed from the UNL web developer network to work on the Drupal CMS implementation on campus. Notes from the meetings can be found in the WDN wiki. Those interested and have time to commit, please attend, currently we meet every Thursday in Wick from 10-11am.
- Ron Roeber is leading a proposal request to host frontier and the migration of sites and accounts to Drupal. We hope to have a proposal in place by the end of the month or possibly earlier based upon IS feedback and other stakeholder communication.
- Working with Jon Wilson and others, I plan to engage in a pilot with many IS employees that currently are responsible for web content.
- The goal of using the CMS will help provide a quicker, easier way to review content and publish to the web in a timely manner.
- Please contact me if you are responsible for web content provision.
OpenCast – Lecture capture and video workflow management
- Bruce Sandhorst and myself presented at the New Media Consortium annual meeting this month about the Opencast project and how we plan to implement the system on our campus. Various schools were interested, specifically Penn State (go Big 10) regarding large scale implementation.
- A team of people within IS has been assembled to work on various aspects of the implementation process. This includes, classrooms, server, application, and pedagogy.
- To find more information about the project go to opencastproject.org/.
- We’ve been working with mobile devices and the new Blackboard Mobile Learn application. We’re finding while the system is somewhat buggy, overall the interface is very refreshing to work with and helps with efficiency of interacting with course and organizational content.
- I preparing to co-teach a media course this Fall utilizing iPads as a tool to further learner centered concepts as well as increasing active collaboration and development of rich media in the course.
- We hope to utilize new and exciting technology tools including iClicker, BB Mobile Learn, and others as they become available.
- I plan to submit a proposal to present at next year’s ELI Annual Meeting about our media engagement experience outcomes of the course.
Action Request: Please identify one person responsible for web content in your area of IS, specifically to help provide accurate timely information about a service, product, or activity that you as the manger are responsible. NO html or coding required. Content knowledge is the most important qualifier. In many cases this may be you.
Depending on the outcome of the service inventory results from Prism, hopefully these identified people will map to those services and ultimately the IS mission and web presence.